It is so hard to get your work done in a cluttered, dirty office, and it can be so easy to take control of the chaos.
Office Cleaning Tips
Start with a plan. Look around the office and make a list of what needs to be done – the two common things are organizing and cleaning, but an awful lot can go into those two broad categories.
- Grab a pen and paper and give yourself five or ten minutes to make that list mentioned above.
- Don’t worry about putting things in any order, just write them as you see them.
- Review the list to see which things you can group together.
- For example, if you have one area that is dirty and needs industrial strength cleaner, coat the area with cleaner while you tackle a smaller mess for ten minutes while the cleaner soaks in.
- Then go back and wipe up the cleaner – if it has soaked long enough, you won’t even have to scrub.
- (That’s a tip from my days working for a cleaning service – and it really does work as a time saver, and saves your arms from scrubbing, too.
- Use the list as your guide as you clean the office, and make sure to check off each thing as you complete it because checking things off a list is an emotionally satisfying thing to do – it says, “Success!”
Professional Cleaning Tips
Let the cleaner have time to do its job and use the time while you wait to tackle something else.
Have two brooms and a mop for cleaning hardwood floors. Sweep, mop, then sweep again with the clean broom – this is also a tip from my days working with a cleaning service.
It just gets your floor so much cleaner and it’s worth the few extra minutes.
Set up several baskets, so you can sort clutter as you sift through it. This reduces the time you’ll spend later when you’re ready to file papers or deliver lost items to other offices or rooms.
Office Carpet Cleaning
If the carpet in your office is looking shabby, you can either replace it, clean it yourself, or hire a carpet cleaning service to do it for you.
- Since it typically isn’t practical to replace it due to expense, you can decide between doing it yourself or having it professionally cleaned by checking to see just how dirty it is.
- If it is lightly soiled, you can generally pick up a steam cleaner and tackle it yourself.
- If it is deeply soiled, however, a pro can get it much cleaner, and often make it look like new.
Green Cleaning Products
Grab some eco-friendly products for green cleaning the office, and be kind to your skin, your lungs, and still get your office sparkling clean.
Take full advantage of the tip above about letting the cleaner soak in – you’ll use less cleaner in the long run and you’ll save your arms and hands from a lot of abrasive scrubbing.
Organizing Tips for Office Efficiency
I already touched on this tip, too. Put out bins or baskets – one for each type of thing, or each destination – sort of surround yourself with them if you’re cleaning a large mess – so everything you need to reach is within arm’s reach.
- Then drop items into the different containers.
- Then, as you deliver the containers, put everything in the container away before you do anything else.
- Finally, move the containers as you expand your arc of cleanliness – so everything stays easy to reach.
Make cleaning the office as easy as possible, so you can get back to work and enjoy a stress-free work area.
By Laure Justice
Updated June 13, 2017Google+
6 thoughts on “Easy and Effective Office Cleaning Tips”
I really appreciate the insight here in this post and confident it’s going to be helpful to me and many others. Thanks for sharing all the information and tips.
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice comment! I checked out your website, too, and want to say it’s really, nice.
This is some really good information about office cleaning. I particular liked your suggestion about using two brooms and a mop to clean your office floors. It does seem like that could take a long time. If I owned an office I would just rather hire a professional service to come clean my office. After all, that would be a lot easier than me or my employees doing it.
This is some really good information about how to clean an office. I liked that you pointed out that you should make sure that you use green supplies. It does seem like it would be a smart to use a good and friendly cleaning supplies. I wouldn’t want to worry about cleaning an office and it seems like it would be better to hire a professional to clean your office.
Very good points. I definitely need to get an office cleaner for our office.
Brilliant ideas, thanks a lot for sharing this information. I really appreciate your tips.
Comments are closed.