If you’ve made a mistake and you’re feeling down right now, I’m right there with you, in spirit, at least.
How to Move On After You’ve Made a Mistake
Screwing up, making mistakes, figuring out how to move on; these are all things that are just part of being human.
Of course, some of us “go bigger” on our mistakes than others, but a mistake pretty much always feels like a failure and like you’re really alone in this big, nasty world, right?
Moving forward can truly feel as big and overwhelming as moving mountains.
The thing is, you’re not alone, or you don’t have to be, and just because a mistake has landed you in a bad spot, you don’t have to “live” there – unless you did something illegal, of course, then you have some problems of a different nature to deal with.
My personal tips for moving ahead with your life are:
- Take the time to learn where you went wrong.
- This takes some thinking, and it takes ome time.
- It’s part of healing, too, so don’t run right back into a similar situation from the one you just escaped and view as a mistake.
- Keep a journal, if you have a private place to keep it.
- If the same problems come up in your life over and over, you’ll start to see a pattern, and if you can find the pattern, you have the key to breaking unhealthy cycles and to moving forward in your life without making the same mistakes over and over.
- Believe in yourself and your ability to do better, then act in ways that allow you to succeed.
- Ask for help when you don’t know what to do. If you don’t have trustworthy people in your life, search the Internet to find out what others with similar problems and past mistakes have done, and keep an open mind as you review the results.
- Forgive yourself. Don’t expect others to forgive, but be grateful if they do.
- If you screw up again, forgive yourself again, but look for a way to stop doing the same negative things over and over – you don’t want to be feeling this same sense of having messed up over and over and over again for twenty or thirty years, do you?
So, these are my personal tips, if they resonate with you, use them, if not, I am adding a few quotes about moving on below.
“Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward, toward finding the answer.”
I find that the best way to do things is to constantly move forward and to never doubt anything and keep moving forward, if you make a mistake say you made a mistake.
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don’t try to forget the mistakes, but you don’t dwell on it. You don’t let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Thanks for visiting Intrinsic Vicissitude, if you have anything you would like to add or ask, feel free to share in the comments section.Google+